Saturday 13 October 2012

Ragu Sauce with Salami

Morning!

Just thought I'd do a quickie food post, nothing mind-blowing, just a bit of Ragu style sauce with salami that I made the other weekend.

The ingredients...


As usual all ingredient quantities are 'loose' and should be adjusted/omitted for individual taste.

Lean Steak Mince - 750g
Salami, chopped - as much as you like - I used the whole pack on this occasion
Olive Oil - approx 2 tbsp (optional as the meats do chuck out oil anyway)
2 Medium onions - chopped
A few cloves garlic - chopped
1 stick of celery - chopped finely
1 carrot - chopped finely
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 - 2 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
1 - 2 tsp Dried Basil
Garlic Pepper - to taste

I tend to brown the mince first for approx. 10 minutes and then add the salami, onions, garlic, oil  and herbs, fry for another 5 - 10 minutes to so, add the carrot and celery and fry for another 5 and then add everything else ...


...almost forgot the mushrooms - add as much as you like... usually half of this 750g bag for me....


and also the wine...I add a glass or so as my husband is usually waiting in the wings to drink the rest of it!



Bring it all to the boil (usually add a bit of hot water from the kettle at this stage if I want a thinner sauce) and simmer for about 40 minutes but of course you can just leave it on for longer whilst you sit and have a few drinks!



And you're left with the above concoction - doesn't look like much but taste's good!

Serve with pasta, use in lasagne or pasta bake or over jacket potatoes etc etc. A portion of this size lasted us for approx. 3 meals this time (for all 4 of us) so it's quite economical to cook up in a large batch - plus if I'm going to cook the thing I'd rather it be a 'big one' so I can freeze some!

Any other 'large batch' cooks out there?

Jen x



16 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks good & pretty easy too :) You could always switch in turkey mince or quorn! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to be easy for me to cook it! I do use turkey mince quite often (it's so low in fat isn't it?) + also quorn now + again for a speed cook! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love large batch meals - makes life with kids so much easier. My boys would love this with the salami. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - I would cook everything in batches if I could (makes life with my 'big kid' easier too!). Both my kids also love the salami - actually I'm quite partial too! xx

      Delete
  4. That sounds delicious!! And adding wine, genius!!

    http://punkypugs.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad for me, the wine definitely adds flavour :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious! I often cook up batches of mince, cottage pie, lasange and bolognese so handy to have meals ready in the freezer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - I think us mums are mostly on the same wavelength when it comes to cooking! x

      Delete
  6. can I have dinner in your house??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, any time - just let me know first so I can tidy up! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, this looks tasty. I'd never have thought to add salami to a dish like this but now that I am seeing it it makes so much sense. I've been off sick today and the hubby's working tonight so looks like a slightly more boring dinner is on the cards for me!
    Mel x

    melswallofmirrors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry Mel I have plenty of 'boring dinners' here too (mainly when my hubby is out) - can't be bothered to cook for one (kids eat earlier)! Hope you're feeling better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey! i found you through the BBU Blog Hop! this looks so delicious! i love little concoctions like this one that don't look like much but are absolutely amazing. thanks for the recommendation!

    http://sincerelyella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes simple is the best + tastes just as good! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...