Tuesday 28 April 2015

Dry Shampooing ... Part 1

Bonjour!

Finding the right dry shampoo is a bit of a challenge, especially if you want one that is all singing/all dancing and at the right price - a bit like hunting for a good mascara/bra/car! I have the added complication of being a brunette (with grey strands here and there!), so I really don't want to look like I've tipped a cup of self-raising flour over my head (although I'm betting this is not a look many blondes would embrace either!).  I use a few squirts of dry shampoo virtually every other day in between washes, to refresh any greasy bits and give texture and grip, especially if I want to tie the barnett up.  I've been trying out quite a few over the last few months so thought it best to split this post into a two-parter (yes this is only half of my stash - I am that madwoman!) ... and in hindsight I should have really written separately about products specifically for brown hair but at the end of the day it's not a clinical trial or anything, the pics had been taken and I can procrastinate no longer ... I mean it doesn't matter if it's all a bit mixed up does it (bit like me really)!


A picture of Dry Shampoos


Herbal Essences Clearly Naked £2.99/180ml - this and the Uplifting Volume next to it were on offer of buy one get one free or something so I ended up with them both, as you do. Clearly Naked disguises greasy roots a little,  adds a bit of volume and has a tiny bit of white cast  but nothing   drastic.   It feels a tad sticky and has a strange minty fragrance (well I think it's strange anyway).    It's a bit - as we like to say - meh? I'm shrugging my shoulders as I type this phrase but really it's neither here nor there for me!

Herbal Essences  Uplifting Volume £2.99/180ml - adds more volume than 'Clearly Naked' but has more of a 'wet hairspray feel' and doesn't really help with greasy roots, although, again there is virtually no white/grey fallout.  It smells lovely though ... of crisp clean citrus but leaves my hair feeling pretty gunked up and sticky so no point in repurchasing.

Dove Refresh and Care Dry Shampoo £4.59/200ml - this, for me, is more of a 'refresher for greasy hair days' rather than 'sky-high volume' product.  The spray has a 'damp' feel when first sprayed, although this doesn't seem to hang around on my hair.  It leaves a faint grey tinge if sprayed too close but is very easy to get rid of when massaged in. A pleasant, clean smell, not too overpowering but enough to make your hair feel freshened up. A reasonable amount of subtle volume which lasts all day and no tacky feeling as such. I'd repurchase but only when on offer as it's quite expensive.

Superdrug Cocoa Brownie for Brunettes - £1.99/150ml - but can usually be picked up for about £1!   Quite a dry, almost 'texturising' spray  which gives good lasting volume to the crown,  dries up greasy roots and thickens the overall look of my hair.  It's similar to a hair powder I guess and is super-pigmented, sprays out as deep dark brown and is quite good at disguising those pesky grey hairs and any thinning areas around the parting.  Just remember to wash your hands after massaging it in and don't be alarmed at the 'brown water' going down the drain when you next wash your hair, sounds gross but it's only a bit of pigment when all is said and done!  I've repurchased quite a few times now as it's a great all rounder and is as cheap as chips!

Aussie Miracle Dry Shampoo  Aussome Volume £4.49/180ml - an impulse buy whilst it was on offer at around £3. It has a very fine mist, not too wet, not too dry and not much residue that I can detect.  It gives really good volume which lasts most of the day and is not too sticky or tacky. The only thing I can't get on with is the smell!  Obviously this is just a personal thing but it's so sweet and sickly and it hangs around for a while  ... if I can get over that then I would repurchase!

Obviously, everyone's different and what rocks my boat may sink yours and vice versa.  If, as a 'dry shampoo manic' I had to choose from this lot ... it would have to be Superdrug Cocoa Brownie - the brown water doesn't bother me!  Have you used any of these dry shampoos?  Which is your favourite?


Jen x




14 comments:

  1. I love dry shampoo, rediscovering a couple of years ago after not using it since my teens. My favourite is Batise (the original ds??). Great for me as it also lightens any dark root growth - dreadful on brunettes I would assume although they probably do a dark one too. Yes why does the Aussie Miracle range smell so strong (and vile) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame about the Aussie Miracle Donna - it's not a bad performer! xx

      Delete
  2. Well Jenny, you have a couple of dry shampoos there...

    The only one I've tried is the Superdrug one, it's the blue tin and can't remember what hair it's for but I didn't get on with it. You can really feel it in the hair! Not for me but did add a lot of volume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just used to the feel of stuff in my hair Sam! x

      Delete
  3. Great round up and I'm waiting with baited breath to hear about the next lot. I've tried quite a few (though interestingly, none of these..just a non-coloured Superdrug one!) and I always go back to Batiste...but I'm with you on the smell thing. I cannot bear the Batiste brown one as the smell is vile (to me) but I'm definitely going to try out the Superdrug one for those grey days as you've got on so well with it. I currently have some Pantene stuff which keeps spraying white spots all over my large mirror when I sit and spray it....clearly my aim sucks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I've noticed the smell of the Batiste brown on Avril - will have to have sniff next time I use it! x

      Delete
  4. Only ever tried Batiste Jenny so might give one of the above a try out! Would be great to get a little bit of added volume as my hair is thin! Hope your week is going well:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hair never looks thin to me Anne so you must be doing something right! x

      Delete
  5. Wow so many dry shampoos! My favourite ever is Batiste XXL as it gives volume too! X

    Glossy Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember if I have the Batiste XXL or not - ridiculous isn't it! x

      Delete
  6. I always use Batiste tropical & love the smell! Ill definitely have a look at the Superdrug one next time I'm in town! Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not tried the Batiste tropical Andrea - will have to have a sniff! x

      Delete
  7. Wow you have so many haha. The Herbal Essences range definitely isn't one I'll be trying, everyone says the same about it! You should definitely give COLAB a go :-) xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...